At MoonPay, we are required to complete your identity verification to follow the Know Your Customer (KYC) laws. KYC is a multi-step verification process that confirms the identity of customers, which helps prevent the creation and use of fraudulent accounts.
The verification process is divided into four main categories:
- Identity verification
- Proof of address verification
- Proof of income verification
- Selfie verification
Each category has different common rejection reasons while undergoing the verification process.
We may ask you to submit your photo ID again if:
- Your ID is expired
- You provided unsupported ID type - we only support the following ID types:
- Driver’s license
- National ID
- Passport (except for US residents)
- Soon-to-expire ID - there's a gap of at least 30 days between submitting it and its expiry date.
- Damaged or worn out ID - ensure that your ID is not damaged.
- Blurry images - ensure the pictures are clear and all 4 corners of the ID are visible.
Common reasons for address verification rejection include:
- The name doesn't match - we only accept documents with your name.
- Screenshots or scans are a no-go - we only accept PDF files or the original pictures of the documents.
- Addresses on the document don’t match the address you provided during the registration process - use the same address
you provided when making your first order.
- The document issue date is over three months - documents without an issue date will not be accepted.
- Using document types, we don't support - we only support the following documents:
- Utility bills
- Bank or credit card statement
- Tax invoices (within the last 3 months)
- Other government-issued residential statements or certificates
- Documents are folded - All 4 corners of a document need to be visible
Common reasons for income verification rejection include:
- Screenshots or scanned documents are a no-go - we only accept PDF files or the original pictures of the documents.
- The document details are a bit unclear - the documents need to show the salary pension or relevant source of wealth.
- The document issue date - the documents must be issued within the last three months.
- The document doesn’t reflect what is the source of your income (no income deposits)
Common reasons for card selfie verification rejection include:
- Important information is missing - the uploaded image is unclear and lacks the card’s first six and last four digits
and the cardholder’s name
- Blurry Images - we only accept clear images where all the information is easily read.
- Selfie - ensure that your face is shown.
- Apple/Google Pay screens - ensure that the screen shows the virtual or digital number or the physical card number
We may need a screenshot of a pending transaction from your online banking statement. You can provide this through your bank's app or website. Please read the email we sent you again. It will explain why we rejected your request and what additional documents we need.
Remember, various income sources might need different documents. Check out our Verify My Account article for all the details. Following these rules is key to verifying your income source.
Updated 18 days ago